Pick 10 of your favorite books or series.
Post the first sentence of each book. (If one sentence seems too short, post two or three!)
Let everyone try to guess the titles and authors of your books.
1. Once on a dark winter's day, when the yellow fog hung so thick and heavy in the streets of London that the lamps were lighted and the shop windows blazed with gas as they do at night, an odd-looking little girl sat in a cab with her father and was driven rather slowly through the big thoroughfares.
2. When I stepped out in the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.
3. On September 15, 1981, a boy named Jack Sawyer stood where the water and land come together, hands in the pockets of his jeans, looking out at the steady Atlantic.
4. When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. - To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee ~ guessed by okegirl
5. There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
6. It was a nice day. All the days had been nice. There had been rather more than seven of them so far and rain hadn't been invented yet. - Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett ~ guessed by mystic_notions
7. It's hard being left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he's okay. It's hard to be the one who stays. - The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ~ guessed by mystic_notions
8. I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1969; then again as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan in August of 1974. - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides ~ guessed by mystic_notions
9. My father had a face that could stop a clock. I don't mean that he was ugly or anything; it was a phrase the ChronoGuard used to describe someone who had the power to reduce time to an ultraslow trickle. - The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde ~ guessed by may_b_maybe
10. On the whole, we're a murderous race. According to Genesis, it took as few as four people to make the planet too crowded to stand, and the first murder was a fratricide.